Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Devil's Ivy (Pothos)

This is the third plant from the swap meet. My mother originally told me the Devil's Ivy was a Philodendron, but I soon discovered otherwise (though it's commonly mistaken for one). I also learned this vine is considered an invasive species in some places, and I can see why: it grows like a madman. It has a reputation for being ridiculously easy to grow; I literally ignore it except for a weekly watering. It sprouts a new leaf every week or so, and the cold weather hasn't seemed to have affected its growth at all. I'm sure it would be super easy to propagate, but I haven't tried it yet. When I first repotted it after I bought it, there were very few roots attached to what seemed to be a stem cutting that had been buried in the dirt. Perhaps I'll try it sometime. :)
The photo on the left was taken in May 2010, while the photo on the right was snapped in early January 2011. And yes, that's the same vine in both pictures. It had reached roughly 4 feet long and was getting in the way, but I couldn't bring myself to cut it off and try to root it.

No comments:

Post a Comment